Free password strength checker
About our Password Checker
Are you looking for a free online password strength checker? With our tool, you can check the strength of a given password. Several factors are considered when evaluating each password, such as the number of characters, the combination, and the uniqueness.
By taking these factors into account, the tool ranks password strength as weak, medium, or strong. A stronger password takes hackers longer to crack and is challenging.
What makes a strong password?
Long passwords are strong, as well as ones that contain a mix of letters (upper and lower case), numbers, and symbols, as well as those that do not contain dictionary words.
It is risky to reuse passwords for important accounts, like your email address and online banking account. So have a long ( approx. 12 characters long) unique password for each account.
Why is password security important?
You must use passwords to protect your computer and personal information from security breaches. You will be more secure on your computer if you have a strong password. A weak password can result in the following:
- Hackers use the credentials to access a user's account to steal more information about the user, such as their names, addresses, and bank accounts. This information will be used either for directly stealing money from the user or for stealing their identity.
- Invasion of privacy
- A disinformation campaign can target businesses by sharing their data with competitors and holding it for ransom.
How to test password strength using FreeNerdTools?
To understand how secure is your password, all you need to do is follow these simple steps.
- Click here on Password Strength Checker
- You will be directed to the page where you can enter your password.
- Once you enter it, our advanced tool will display the strength of your password alongside the number of characters it contains.
Is our password checker safe?
Free Nerds Password Strength Checker is very safe to use because; you never have to worry about your passwords leaving your browser because we do not store them anywhere. Also, no information is stored on our servers because everything is checked on the page you're on. In addition, it is our business to make people's online lives safer, so we would never wish passwords to be transmitted insecurely across the web.
How do hackers crack passwords?
Hackers can crack passwords using programs that test millions of replacements in a second. No matter what passwords you use, you may still be at risk. Hackers can get access to your passwords by breaching the security of an online service you use and stealing your password. Also, a hacker can use a key logger to capture passwords while you type. Not to mention phishing scams to trick you into revealing your password.
If an attacker doesn’t have easy access to your password, he/she can use more technical means such as brute force, rainbow tables, or dictionary attack. These methods have proved successful in exploiting weak passwords.
Common Poor Password Practices
It will pay off in terms of security and peace of mind to invest in your digital security and reduce cyber security risks. That being said, these are some of the bad habits of faulty password:
- Using the same password across all platforms. It is estimated that more than half of Internet users use the same password for all their accounts.
- Updating your passwords as rarely as possible(i.e., not updating)
- Using short unsecured passwords.
- Checking the "remember me" box
- Keeping passwords in the browser.
- Oversharing of passwords.
Make sure you break these terrible password habits now to ensure that your online presence is more secure in the future.
How to manage your passwords?
It seems pretty paradoxical to generate a password that is difficult to guess but easy to remember, especially when you have to generate multiple passwords, each for a different account. To counteract this problem, the best bet is to use a password manager. Always ensure to change your passwords frequently in case it is compromised. Setting up two-factor authentication is also a good idea.
Generate strong passwords
Are you wondering how you can come up with a strong password? You can do this by adhering to some of the best practices including; Ensuring your password is at least twelve characters, and including a mixture of letters, numbers, and symbols. Regarding letters, it is advised to include both lowercase and uppercase letters. With this sequence of characters in check, you will be on the safe side.
However, with technological advancements, you don't need to do all this on your own. You can use a password generator to create a strong password for you that is unbreakable.